Beach fun in Brazil cannot be had without the pound-for-pound champion of beach drinks, the Brazilian Caipirinha.
Even if you're not on a beach, I guarantee you'll become addicted to this sweet Brazilian behemoth of a drink. Our buddy from Rio, Cilio, shows us how to make the Caipirinha - Brazil's Flagship Beverage. A cocktail just in time for summer!
Serving Size: 1 cocktail / Total Time: 5 minutes
- cachaca (2 ounces) – Cachaca is a Brazilian spirit made from sugarcane juice
- lime (1/2 lime)
- sugar (2 Tbsp)
- ice (1 cup)
- shaker (glass can be used as a substitute)
- meddler (spoon can be used as a substitute)
- Take half a lime and slice it into wedges. Make sure to remove the center stem as it has a bitter taste. Insert pieces into shaker or glass.
- Add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Mash limes and sugar well with meddler (or spoon).
- Put ice in glass or shaker.
- Pour 2 ounces of cachaca over the ice.
- Shake for 5-10 seconds with a smile ala Cilio or mix thoroughly if using a glass.
Have a go at making this…you won’t regret it when you taste a Caipirinha.